Writing Retreat

Just got back from a writing retreat. Wow. It was absolutely, possitively, fantabulous! Four days and three nights of writing.

Let me brag about my progress. Sub deadline is September 1, 2010. Word limit is 3,000. I chose to start a short from scratch rather than rewrite an existing. Day 1 = 1,996 words. Day 2 = 1,997 words. Day 3 = editing to less than 3,000 for a manuscript of 2,892 words. Yippee! Story still needs work, but hey. Yippee!

Now, the location. We rented a guest cottage from a nearby college situated on a mountaintop. The view inspiring, the facilities adequate, and places to write abundant. Though temps lingered in the mid 90's, the shade offered up a nice breeze everyday. The lobby for guest housing provided comfortable seating, small fridge, coffee, and microwave.

The library, while not as plush as the lobby, included chair with laptop tables attached to the arms and coffee house tables, for writer's who like to perch a tad higher.

We carted coolers for snacks and cold drinks and Panera Bread Bagels for breakfast, but for lunch we went to this fabulous little cafe. The chef trained in Chicago, Louisiana, and France. Thinking now of his presentation of Shrimp n' Grits, Pork Sliders, and Mac n' Cheese is making my mouth water.

If you've considered a writing retreat, by all means give it a try. There are affordable stays out there and / or close to home. Pull together a handful of writing friends and plan the essentials. It can be a memorable and productive writing experience.

If my group goes again, and I hope it does, I plan to attend. Meanwhile, I'm going to rewrite and sub my story by deadline. Until next time, happy writing.

No comments: